The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a Legal Intern/Law Clerk (unpaid) opening with our organization. The Legal Intern/Law Clerk will support the work of The Safe Sisters Circle’s legal team in supportive holistic litigation on behalf of survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate and thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position reports to the Executive Director of The Safe Sisters Circle;
- The Legal Intern/Law Clerk will be a member of the legal team working on behalf of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Provides support in the compassionate, holistic and culturally competent delivery of legal services to Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Conducts legal research and drafts legal documents, including legal memoranda, briefs pleadings, motions, letters;
- Conducts case related investigations;
- Conducts client intake and case management services;
- Observes client interactions and court;
- Participates in the organization’s community outreach efforts in Washington, DC’s Wards 7 and 8;
- Participates in the organization’s educational resource development;
- Attends survivor-centered community working group meetings; and
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Enrollment in an accredited law school program with at least one year completed;
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and intimate partner abuse;
- Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black women survivors;
- Excellent legal research skills;
- Excellent legal writing skills;
- Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
- Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback;
- Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment;
- Past experience with a survivor-focused organization is a plus.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this position) and writing sample to Alana Brown, Executive Director of The Safe Sisters Circle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Diverse applicants encouraged to apply.