LEGAL EXTERN OPENING
The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a Legal Extern opening with our organization. The Legal Extern will support the work of The Safe Sisters Circle’s legal team in supportive holistic litigation on behalf of survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate and thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse.
Duties & Responsibilities
- This position reports to the Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle;
- The Legal Extern will be a member of the legal team working on behalf of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Provides support in the compassionate, holistic and culturally competent delivery of legalservices to Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Conducts legal research and drafts legal documents, including legal memoranda, briefspleadings, motions, letters;
- Conducts case related investigations;
- Conducts client intake and case management services;
- Observes client interactions and court;
- Participates in the organization’s community outreach efforts in Washington, DC’sWards 7 and 8;
- Participates in the organization’s educational resource development;
- Attends survivor-centered community working group meetings; and
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Enrollment in an accredited law school program and completion of at least one year by the start of externship;
- Externs must earn current course credits and be available for a minimum of 10 hours a week;
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and/or intimate partner abuse;
- Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black women survivors;
- Excellent legal research skills;
- Excellent legal writing skills;
- Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
- Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback;
- Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment;
- Past experience with a survivor-focused organization is a plus.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, transcript, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this position) and writing sample to Nel-Sylvia Guzman, Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle at email@example.com. Diverse applicants encouraged to apply.
Applications will open:
For Fall Semester Extern: April 1st; interviews will occur on a rolling basis
For Spring Semester Extern: November 1st; interviews will occur on a rolling basis