COLLEGE LEGAL INTERN OPENING (UNPAID)
The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a college-level legal internship opening with our organization. The College Legal Intern will support the work of The Safe Sisters Circle’s legal team in supportive holistic litigation on behalf of survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate and thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse.
Duties & Responsibilities
- This position reports to the Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle;
- The College Legal Intern will shadow members of the legal team working on behalf ofBlack women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Provides support in the compassionate, holistic and culturally competent delivery of legalservices to Black women survivors of intimate partner abuse;
- Assists with case related investigations;
- Conducts client intake and assist with general case and document management services;
- Observes client interactions and court;
- Provide legal and administrative support to legal team;
- Participates in the organization’s community outreach efforts in Washington, DC’sWards 7 and 8;
- Participates in the organization’s educational resource development; and
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Enrollment in an accredited college or university or recent graduate;
- Must be available for a minimum of 10 hours a week;
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and/or intimatepartner abuse;
- Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black women survivors;
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills with a keen eye to details;
- Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
- Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback; and
- Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the internship, your experience with commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and/or intimate partner abuse, and your anticipated dates of availability and your resume to Nel-Sylvia Guzman, Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle at email@example.com. A letter of reference optional but encouraged. Diverse applicants encouraged to apply.
Internships are available for the fall semester (September – December), spring semester (January – May), and the summer (June – August). Internships are unpaid; however, The Safe Sisters Circle may be able to assist you in obtaining academic credit if provided with the required documents. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis