YOUTH STAFF ATTORNEY OPENING
The Safe Sisters Circle is currently seeking survivor centered and culturally competent applicants for a Youth Staff Attorney position with our organization to serve, advocate, and educate for Black girl/adolescent survivors and community living primarily within Wards 7 and 8. The Youth Staff Attorney will work to support The Safe Sisters Circle’s mission and provide exceptional legal services to Black women survivors. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate, and thoughtful individual who is committed to the work of advancing the legal interests of Black girl and adolescent survivors of intimate partner abuse and sexual assault. Specifically, we are looking for a person who has had experience working directly with youth or adolescents, understands youth culture, be open minded, and have a flexible understanding of the purpose of the law and how it can benefit young people. Presentation and training skills are also desired.
Duties & Responsibilities
- This position reports to the Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle;
- Represents Black youth and adolescents survivors through their custodians in CivilProtection Order
- Represents Black youth and adolescents in custody and child support matters;
- Engages in crime witness advocacy, including accompanying youth survivors to criminal(or civil Family) court hearings involving abusers where appropriate, advocating with law enforcement and prosecutors for the survivors’ desired outcomes, and keeping survivors informed of their rights in the process and the status of their cases.
- Navigate and work with different government agencies and organizations that often encounter Black youth such as CFSA, CASA, and youth centered shelters and community organizations.
- Provides compassionate, holistic and culturally competent legal, advocacy and wrap around services to Black girl and adolescent survivors of intimate partner and sexual abuse; Conducts legal research and writing and maintains a working knowledge of the law;
- Conducts case related investigations;
- Conducts client intake and case management services;
- Participates in the organization’s youth outreach efforts in Washington, DC’s Wards 7and 8;
- Participates in the organization’s educational resource development;
- Attends survivor-centered community working group and policy meetings; and
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
We are looking for applicants with the following qualifications:
- Juris Doctor degree and DC Bar Membership required;
- 2-3 years of experience litigating/providing direct legal services, preferably to survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual abuse. Experience with youth preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s issues, gender based violence, and intimate partner abuse;
- Survivor-centered focus, with an interest in issues impacting Black girl and adolescent survivors;
- Trauma informed and culturally competent advocacy skills;
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- Patience, enthusiasm, creativity and a positive attitude;
- Ability to take direction and accept constructive feedback;
- Ability to work well independently as well as in team environment;
- Past experience with a survivor-focused organization is a plus.
Salary & Benefits
$65,000-$68,000 based on experience. Generous benefits package includes paid health insurance, flexible paid holidays, hybrid work schedule, generous annual and sick leave allotments starting at 15 days of vacation and 15 days of sick leave per year; and Simple I.R.A. match.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, transcript, cover letter (including a clear statement of why you are interested in this position) and writing sample to Nel-Sylvia Guzman, Director of Legal Services of The Safe Sisters Circle at email@example.com. Diverse applicants encouraged to apply.